Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Aspiration & Idealism

Do people really know what aspirations can cause? What is aspiration? 

I define aspiration as a strong desire to achieve success, which includes love, wealth, happiness, education and job. I think that the act of "aspiring" is closely related to "dreaming" or "desiring" something that may be unrealistic and impractical. Though there are common sayings that dreams make people's imagination go wild and limitless, I personally think that dreams are just dreams in the end. I feel that the desire of perfection causes problems in our society because expectations that are not being met leads to disappointments.

Although I do agree that people should have some goals in life, I propose that these goals should be realistic and not something idealistic. For instance, I believe that all teenage girls have the same dream of marrying Mr. Prince Charming that is rich and handsome. In this case, I would consider this dream as being unrealistic, although rarely possible, because not every male would fit the category of the ideal "Mr. Prince Charming". Although many people would think that there are no such people who would really forage for Mr. Prince Charming because it sounds absurd, I can justify that this is a misconception because it is actually occurring in today's society. From my personal experience, I have encountered a person whose biggest dream is to marry a foreigner in the desire of happiness and wealth after marriage. In this occasion, she tries every way possible to marry a foreigner or what is so-called "farang" in Thai. In the end, her dreams are being turned down and she faces major disappointments because her aspirations did not come true. More interestingly, she did not work hard to earn a status in society because of depending on this dream, which results in only negative consequences of both not being wealthy and happy.

Although dreams do give people hope and push people to reach out for the best, people should not depend on those imaginary dreams too much because dreams are intangible since people cannot control or force it. Therefore, in order to keep people from dissatisfactions, I would advise people to stay in reality and think of things that are practical.

Keep it real.


Picture source:
http://whisperfall.deviantart.com/art/Dreams-144932089

No comments:

Post a Comment