Monday, September 24, 2012

Scarcity of Organ Donors


My First Love


Life is unfair. Some are born with 11 fingers, some are born with 2 heads, and some are born without arms. These people have different and abnormal physiques; I am different too but in another way. I was born with a dysfunctional liver. I came to know the truth when I was fifteen because it has gotten worse. I knew that my parents had been keeping this away from me because they wanted me to live happily just like every other ordinary girl.

My life changed now that I know the truth. The daily routines that I do changes and life is not as easy as it was before. I knew that I was not going to live on for so long. I feel weak and useless, knowing that death is nearby.

I can see each day getting worse. One day, I found myself in the hospital without knowing how I came here or who brought me here. It feels as if my life stopped for a moment. I was really confused as a team of doctors and nurses rushed by me, doing all sorts of thing with my body. The situations I witnessed seem so serious as they asked me all sorts of questions that I wasn’t even sure of what to answer. It appears as if I was dreaming, dreaming of a world I never imagined to live in before. As I gained my conscience back, the doctor slowly explained everything to me. He said I wasn’t going to live on for so long because they could not do a liver transplant for me since there weren’t enough livers donated. I was on the 1598th on the waiting list and I knew that it wouldn’t reach me any time soon.

Life in the hospital wasn’t exciting. The Big Nurse treated me as if I was a kid or otherwise an old lady that couldn’t help herself. They checked on me every hour until I was really annoyed. I was waiting for the moment for the Big Nurse to come in again and I was prepared to shout and throw stuff at her. I was waiting there on my bed silently, listening for the Big Nurse’s loud footsteps. I didn’t wait for so long and I could hear her coming towards the door… I counted… 3…2…1… looking at the door ferociously. *Squeak* the door opened, and I was about to bawl but my eye got caught staring for a moment until I realized it wasn’t her.

He was muscular, tall, and tanned. He was wearing a green shirt that fitted him perfectly. He has dark eyebrows, tall nose, blue eyes, dirty blonde medium length hair, and scrumptious-looking lip. As he looked up at me, I caught myself scrutinizing his face.  I was lost in thought for a moment. I didn’t know where to go from then on, the feeling of hatred and anger disappeared into nerves instead. I glanced at him from the tip of my eyes because I was scared to look at him directly. I don’t know why I feel so awkward looking at him even though he is just an ordinary male nurse. I felt strange because I never experience something like this before. Never had I ever been so sure that he is the right one for me even if I don’t know him or have seen him before. But I could feel in my heart that was beating so hard as if it was going to jump out of my body. Never have I believed in love at first sight until today.

I would wait for him everyday to check on me every hour. The thing I once hated most has become what I have been waiting for eagerly every hour. Before meeting him, I didn’t know what to live for because in the end I would be waking up with the feeling of emptiness knowing that I have to die sooner or later. Now, things have changed. I feel that I have someone to admire even just by looking at him from a far distant makes my heart full and complete. I wish nothing more than just looking at him 24 times a day until my life lives no more.

I just don’t understand why life is unfair. I don’t know what to call it, I would rather say that it is a mixed feeling of half pain and half joy. I admit that it was really painful to know that I am going to die but it was more than words that I could say of experiencing “love” for the first time. I regret how life is unfair but at least, I won’t cry because it is going to be over, but smile in peace because it happened.

My first love and my last love…

Reflection

Personally, I chose to write about the Lack of Organ Donors because I am deeply passionate about the importance of everyone’s life. Although there are some who donate their organs to the people in need, it is only the few percentages. I feel that this issue has not been properly addressed in society that I live in. Therefore, the purpose of this writing is to promote the donation of organs.

The intention of writing a short story is to raise the awareness of “Scarcity of Organ Donors” by manipulating the readers emotionally. The message of this short story is not directly told to the readers but instead indirectly informing the issue and expanding on how the character is affected by this problem. It is expected that the readers will feel the pain and sorrow from the main character in this story, and this builds sympathy towards the people in need of organ donation like this character. Therefore, the condolences towards the main character in this story will persuade or at least raise awareness for contemporary readers of all age groups to donate their organs for those in need.



No comments:

Post a Comment